Skip Navigation
Images of Duxbury, Massachusetts
On Our Site
Welcome to the website for Duxbury, Massachusetts
This table is used for column layout.


2010 Common Cause Award with Distinction

2009 Common Cause Award with Distinction

2008 Common Cause Award with Distinction

2007 Common Cause Award

Massachusetts 2 1 1


Trying to find out hours for a department? New to town? Looking for information that the Town Clerk might answer? Take a look at this list of frequently asked questions. Maybe yours is on the list. You also might find your questions answered in the FAQ page on the specific department’s web page.  Also see the “Where do I get information about” Chart.


Q: What is the mailing address of Town Hall?
A: Town Offices
   ATTN.       Department Name or Individual’s Name
                878 Tremont St.
                Duxbury, MA  02332

Q: What is the telephone number to Town Hall?
A: Main Telephone Number:  (781) 934-1100.   Auto-Attendant will give you the extension numbers or on the Town website click on “About Duxbury” and then “Contact Us” for a Department Index and contact extensions.

Q: What are the hours of operation for Town Hall?
A: The Town Offices are open:
        Monday                  from  8 AM to 7  PM.
        Tuesday – Thursday    from  8 AM to 4  PM
        Fridays                         from 8 AM to 12:30 PM

Q: When is the town meeting?
A: According to the By-Laws of Duxbury, the annual town meeting will be held on the 2nd Saturday of March.

Q: How many selectmen are on the Board of Selectmen
A:. Three.


Q:  When Are The Dog Licenses Due And How Do I Register My Dog?
A:   Dog licenses are due January 1 of each year.
      Licenses can be purchased at the Town Clerk's Office or by mail.

        The following documents are necessary to register your dog:

        0114E107-000F8513?Action=IBPicture22.jpgCurrent rabies certificate
        0114E107-000F8513?Action=IBPicture22.jpgspay/neutered certificate
        0114E107-000F8513?Action=IBPicture22.jpgfee $15.00 spayed/neutered; $20.00 male/female
        0114E107-000F8513?Action=IBPicture22.jpgself-addressed stamped envelope (mail only)

The licensing period is from January 1 - December 31 of each year.
Failure to license by May 31 results in a $25.00 late fee in addition to the license fee.
Failure to license by June 30 results in a $25.00 non-criminal disposition in addition to a $25.00 late fee and license fee.

Q:  May I walk a dog at Duxbury Beach?
A:   Yes, but walking a dog on Duxbury Beach does require a permit and you must follow the dog walking rules and regulations.  

Q:  May I ride a horse on Duxbury Beach?
A:  Yes, but horseback riding on Duxbury Beach does require a permit.  Contact the Treasurer / Collector’s Office (Ext. 5449) at Town Hall for further details.

Q:  How do I contact the Animal Control Officer?
A:  During regular business hours call:  781-934-6424.  If the Animal Control Officer is available, then he will answer.  Otherwise, please leave a message.  In emergencies, call the Police Dispatch at 781-934-5656 and they will assist you.


Q: What is the assessment of the average single family home in Duxbury?
A: The average single family home assessed value for FY 2016 is $626,600.  This is a 2.86% increase from FY 2015’s average assessed value of $609,200.  The median 2016 single family home assessed value is $513,900 which is a 4.07% increase.

Q: What is the tax bill of the average single-family home in Duxbury?
A: The average single family home tax bill for FY 2016 is projected to be $9,743.63.  This is an increase of 2.53% over FY 2015.  The CPA adds 1% to this average tax bill, or $81.89. The median single family tax bill is $7,991.15; and its 1% CPA surcharge is $64.36.

 Q: What is Duxbury's tax rate?
 A: The single tax rate for FY 2016 is $15.55 per one thousand of assessed valuation.  This is a 5 cent or -0.32% decrease over the FY 2015 tax rate of $15.60.


Q: How do I volunteer for a town board or committee?
A:  Registered voters are asked to fill out a Talent Bank form, which is available on the website on the Board and Committee page or under “Opportunities” in the left toolbar on the homepage.  Completed Talent Bank forms should be submitted to the Board of Selectmen’s office.  The individual is then considered for open seats on any of the boards / committees, which were indicated.  Talent Banks are kept on file for at least 2 years. Note: Most terms run until June 30th so around that time is often when seats open up.

Q:  How can I find out when a board or committee will meet?
A:   There are several ways:
        1) In accordance with Open Meeting Laws the notices of public meetings are
        posted on the bulletin board in Town Hall.  In addition, a binder containing
         the postings is available 24 hours a day / 7 days a week.  The binder is located
        outside the back door of the main Town Hall on the drop box to the left of the door.    
        2) Check the calendars on the Town website because as a courtesy the staff
        does try to post meeting notices here as well.
        Check the Town Calendar (for meetings at Town Hall) and the COA
        Calendars (either the COA Evening Room Rental Calendar or the COA
        Events Calendar for meetings at the Senior Center).  Click on the meeting and
        often the entry will expand to show the agenda if it has been posted there.
        3)  On the Town website “Subscribe to News” as a number of the
        boards / committees do send their meeting notices and/or minutes to

Q.  How can I receive public notices and/or notices from a specific board or committee?
A.  On the Town website go to the “Subscribe to News” tab on the homepage.  We have implemented a new way of keeping our residents informed of events and meetings that are occurring in the town. Whenever a new event or document is posted to the Web site you have an opportunity to receive a copy of that posting in your personal EMail box, automatically. It won't be necessary to visit the Web site, although we encourage you to do so, since not all folders will be subscribable. If you decide that you no longer want to receive notices automatically, you can use the same form to remove your name from the list.


For building-related questions and /or forms, please see Municipal Services(a/k/a Inspectional services) on the second floor of Town Hall.  Municipal Services includes the following departments:  
Building Department information and forms can also be found in our "Contractor's Corner" located in the hallway outside the Municipal Services office in Town Hall.

Under Departments, in the dropdown click on Municipal Services, and then click on the appropriate department. The web pages for each of the departments contain lots of information on the forms and permits needed.

Q:  I want to renovate a property.   Does Duxbury have a “demolition delay”?
A:  Yes, under the Demolition Delay By-law, the Historical Commission is required to review every proposed demolition of any structure 75 years or older to determine if there is any architectural or historical significance.  For more information on click on the Boards & Committees webpage and then on Historical Commission.  On the Historical Commission page you will find additional information.  You may also contact the Inspectional Services Department (Ext. 5485) with questions.

The DPW consists of the following departments and information about related topics can be found on the web pages of:


Q:  How do I make a donation to support the Duxbury 4th of July celebration?
A:  Donations should be made payable to the “Margery Parcher Fund” and mailed to
P.O. Box 1743, Duxbury MA 02331.

Q:  How do I find out about the events planned for the 4th of July celebration?
A:  The Duxbury 4th of July Committee has set up a website:


Q: How can I get a flu shot?
A. The Health Department offers free flu shots to Duxbury residents every fall. Information on the date, time and location of Flu Clinics is made available through local media sources as soon as it becomes available.  Please check the bulletin board postings or "Town News" postings on homepage of the Town website or contact the Board of Health.

Q. Where can I get information about Lyme Disease, Eastern Equine Encephalitis (EEE) or  West Nile Virus (WNV) ?
A:  On the Board of Health webpage, click on Lyme Disease and EEE/WNV Information and you will find a number of links to the Massachusetts Dept. of Public Health and the Center for Disease Control regarding these topics.  Our Board of Health staff is also available to assist you with any inquiries.

Q:  I’m a newcomer to the Town of Duxbury.  What is a good way to get acquainted with the Town?
A:  There is lots of information on the Town of Duxbury website:  Beyond the town government /town hall information, under “ABOUT DUXBURY” in the left toolbar, a dropdown opens and you will find a page titled “Links and Resources.”  On that page, you will find information and website links to local non-profit organizations, the Duxbury Business Association, weather links, and other town department websites.  There are also links to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts websites and to the Duxbury legislative representatives.   Newcomers might be especially interested in the link to the Duxbury Newcomers Club.


The Recreation Department is located in the Girl Scout House at 22 Washington ST, but mail should be addressed to the Recreation Department, 878 Tremont ST, Duxbury MA 02332.  Recreation Dept. Phone # is 781-934-7034.

Q:  Who do I contact to rent the Girl Scout House (GSH) or the Tarkiln Community Center?
A:  Contact the Recreation Department.  Before you do you may want to see the information on the Recreation Department web page.  Scroll down and under the Additional Links section, click on “Renting the GSH or Tarkiln.”


Q:  Where do I find information about shellfishing?
A:   Information regarding shellfishing is on the Harbormaster’s website.  There is a link on the main Town website (under “About Duxbury” and then “Links and Resources”) or you can access the Harbormaster’s website directly at  

Q: Where do I go to get a recreational shellfishing license?
A:   Recreational shellfishing licenses are issued by the Municipal Services Office in the 2nd floor of  Town Hall.

Q:  I’m interested in getting a commercial shellfishing license.  Can you tell me about that?
A:  Commercial shellfishing licenses may be applied for by Duxbury residents in April only each year.  Applications are available from the Board of Selectmen’s Office in April.  The application process does require: (a) the completed Commercial Shellfish License Application, (b) proof of residency (i.e., property tax bill and/or Domicile/Lease Verification Affidavit) (c) Driver’s License (or Student ID, if no Driver’s License), (d)  a copy of a valid Massachusetts (State) Commercial Fisherman permit endorsed for shellfishing.  
[For the Mass. Commercial Fisherman / Shellfish permit contact:
the Massachusetts Division of Marine Fisheries: Tel: (617) 626-1520 or by email: or Website: ]

(Commonwealth of Massachusetts)

Q. What is the official website of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts?
A. The Commonwealth of Massachusetts website is:
     From this site you can access the web pages of many of the state agencies and the state
    legislative branches.  

Q:  How can I find out who my State Representative and /or State Senator are and how to contact them?
A:  On the Town website go to “About Duxbury” and in the dropdown click on the “Links and Resources”.  When you scroll down you will find information about Duxbury’s “Elected Officials.”

Q:  Where can I find information on Open Meeting Law, M.G.L. c. 30A, §§ 18-25 (Effective July 1, 2010).
A:  (1)   On the Attorney General’s website  ( there is a link to the Mass. General Laws
     (2) For Massachusetts General Laws searches:
             You can search in 3 different ways.
  • By Citation –if you know the Chapter (and section) click on “Find a Law by citation.”  You may want to just put in the Chapter.  Then from the index that comes up you can explore the different relevant sections.
  • By Popular Name- if you don’t know the Chapter / section, but know what it is commonly called.  This brings up an alphabetical listing so you can find the law by what it is commonly called.   Ex.:  Melanie’s Law
3)          Full text of the Mass. General Laws.


Q: Where is the Transfer & Recycling Station?
A:  The Transfer & Recycling Station is located on Mayflower Street.

Q:  Where do I get a Transfer Station permit?
A:  At the Treasurer/Collector’s Office.  

Q:  What are the hours of the Transfer & Recycling Station?
A:  Standard hours are:  Wednesday through Sunday:  from 8:00 AM to 4: 00 PM.

Q: What else do I need to know?
A:  Duxbury follows a “Pay As You Throw” system so you must purchase bags at local stores.  Information about the Transfer Station fees can be found under DEPARTMENTS / DPW / Transfer Station on the website.


Q: What is the assessment of the average single family home in Duxbury?
A: The average single family home assessed value for FY 2016 is $626,600.  This is a 2.86% increase from FY 2015’s average assessed value of $609,200.  The median 2016 single family home assessed value is $513,900 which is a 4.07% increase.

Q:  What is the tax bill of the average family home in Duxbury?
A:  The average single family home tax bill for FY 2016 is projected to be $9,743.63.  This is an increase of 2.53% over FY 2015.  The CPA adds 1% to this average tax bill, or $81.89. The median single family tax bill is $7,991.15; and its 1% CPA surcharge is $64.36.

Q: What is the Duxbury tax rate?
A: The single tax rate for FY 2016 is $15.55 per one thousand of assessed valuation.  This is a 5 cent or -0.32% decrease over the FY 2015 tax rate of $15.60.

For more information under the DEPARTMENTS go to Assessing and see the “FY 2014 Tax Fact Sheet.” Usually in the Fall (i.e., November) a tax classification hearing is held before the Board of Selectmen and the Assessors present their information to set the tax rate for the fiscal year.  At that time there may be updated information.

Q:  When are tax bills sent and due?
A:  The Town Real Estate & Personal Property tax bills are issued quarterly, but are mailed semiannually. The first two quarters (August 1st and November 1st) are preliminary tax bills and each normally represents one quarter of the prior year’s total annual tax. The second two quarters (Feb 1st and May 1st) are the actual tax bills and reflect your current assessment and the town’s tax rate.
SENT: Bills are mailed thirty days prior to the above listed due dates.
DUE:  Timely payment requires that the bill be received by the Collector before the close of business on the due date. Postmarks are not acceptable. If a statutory tax falls on a holiday or week-end, the tax will be due on the next business day.

Q: May I pay my tax bill online?
A:  The following tax and utility bills can be paid online:
        Real Estate
         Personal Property
         Motor Vehicle & Boat Excise


Q:  Who do I call if I have water-related emergency?
A:  During Town Hall hours call the Water Dept. at 781-934-1100; Ext. 5521 or 5522.  
      For after-hours water-related emergencies, please call the Police Department business line at


Website Disclaimer
Duxbury Town Hall 878 Tremont St., Duxbury, MA 02332
Virtual Towns & Schools Website