In accordance with Sections 3.1 and 3.2 of the Board of Selectmen Manual:
3.1 Officers and Responsibilities
Be responsible for the maintenance of good and open communications between the Board and all other town agencies, committees and commissions. (Rule 5, Rules of Procedure).
The Board of Selectmen shall elect a Chairperson, Vice Chairperson, and a Clerk.
The duties of the officers shall be as follows:
- The Chairperson Shall:
- Preside at all regular and special meetings of the Board including all public hearings and public meetings called by the Board. (Rule 2, Rules of Procedure).
- Perform all ceremonial duties for the Board, unless another member is designated.
- Be responsible for the approval of all meeting agendas.
- Call special meetings of the Board as may be required.
- Appoint, subject to the confirmation of the Board, all sub-committees of the Board, and Board liaisons.
- Be the spokesperson for the Board at all inter-town, county, state, federal meetings and hearings, unless another Board member shall be specifically designated.
- The Vice Chairperson shall:
- Perform all the duties of the Chair in his/her absence.
- Be responsible for the maintenance and good order and implementation of all permit and licensing policies that fall under the jurisdiction of the Board of Selectmen.
- The Clerk Shall:
- Execute by signature any petitions or other documents that have been approved by a majority vote of the Board and which the Clerk is legally capable of signing on the Board's behalf.
- Sign all official permanent meeting notices of this Board.
The Board of Selectmen shall reorganize and choose officers at the first meeting after the election.
The Board of Selectmen shall make all appointments to standing committees, commissions and boards by June 30th each year.
The standing rules, policies and procedures of this Board may be amended from time to time by a majority vote of the Board and become effective immediately upon passage, unless noted otherwise, with prior public notice and public hearing.
The Board of Selectmen shall establish "Liaisons" with each committee. The purpose of the "liaison" is to offer support to the committees as necessary, to enhance communications between the committee and Board of Selectmen.
As committee liaison, the Selectmen will schedule at least one (1) meeting a year with his/her respective liaison assignments for the purpose of reviewing the responsibilities of the committee, identifying problem areas, and eliciting suggestions for more efficient operations of the committee. Reports of their meetings shall be made to the Board of Selectmen.
Invite a department head or Chairperson of a committee, commission, or board to update the Board of Selectmen on relevant issues or activities.
List of Committees
- Agricultural Commission
- Alternative Energy Committee
- Board of Appeals
- Board of Appeals Alternates
- Board of Health
- Burial Agent to the Board of Health
- Conservation Commission
- Council on Aging
- Design Review Board
- Designer Selection Committee
- Duxbury Bay Management Commission
- Duxbury Cultural Council
- Economic Advisory Committee
- Highway Safety Advisory Committee
- Historical Committee
- Historical District Study Committee
- Municipal Commission on Disability
- North Hill Advisory Committee
- Nuclear Advisory Committee
- Open Space Committee
- Recreation Activities Committee
- Shellfish Advisory Committee
- Solid Waste Disposal Committee