The Duxbury Council on Aging could not accomplish its work without the assistance of its many dedicated volunteers. Their knowledge, compassion, and commitment have enabled us to expand services at the Duxbury Senior Center and in the community. They have enabled us to implement innovative programs that have been recognized locally and nationally such as assisting in our Social Day Program for clients with early-stage Alzheimer’s disease, or by serving on our Friends’ board or the Council on Aging Board or with our Lifelong Learning steering committee.
The knowledge that is shared, the time that is spent, the care that is given has made the Duxbury Senior Center a focal point in the community.
If you would like to learn more about the Duxbury Council on Aging, its programs or our many volunteer opportunities, please contact our Volunteer Manager at (781) 934-5774 ext. 5731.
The human contribution is the essential ingredient. It is only in the giving of oneself to others that we truly live.– Ethel Percy Andrus
Opportunities for Volunteering
- Mayflower Café
- Serving Meals in the Dining Room
- Assistant in the Kitchen or with Home-delivered Meals
- Home-delivered Meals Driving
- Local and Medical Driving
- Baking Treats for Home-delivered Meals or the Café
- Respite Intermissions Program Assistance
- Technology Assistance at the Senior Center
- Program leaders for recreational activities
- Friends of the Duxbury COA fundraising activities
- Lifelong Learning Committee or Class Facilitation
- Front Desk Reception
- Landscaping and Maintenance
- Share a special passion or talent
If you have a special skill that you would like to share with the community at the Senior Center, please let us know. The Board of the Friends of the Duxbury COA is always looking for enthusiastic participation in planning and arranging our many fundraising events. Please contact Joanne Moore, the Director of the Council on Aging, if you are interested in finding out more about the activities of the Friends or joining their board.
You may contact Christine Coakley, our Volunteer Manager at (781) 934-5774, (ext. 5731) or stop in to pick up and complete an application & CORI form.
Town of Duxbury Senior Property Tax Work-Off Program
The purpose of the Property Tax Work-Off Program is to allow qualified citizens to perform community service for the Town of Duxbury in various departments in order to receive an abatement on the property tax for the home in which they reside. The program also enhances municipal services by utilizing the skills of senior citizens (65+) in various departments throughout the town.
The Town of Duxbury will offer the Senior Tax Work-Off Program for 2022. This program provides eligible residents with a property tax reduction of up to $1000 in exchange for service hours in one of the departments of the Town of Duxbury. This tax reduction is deducted from the property tax bill after any applicable payroll deductions.
To qualify for the program the applicant must
- be at least 65 years of age
- provide income verification – the applicant’s gross income from all sources may not exceed $61,000 for the year preceding the application
- and provide documentation that all assets (exclusive of the domicile) do not exceed $100,000.
The first step is to fill out the Senior Work Off Submittal Form, attached, and make an appointment with Assessor Steve Dunn at 781-934-1100 ext. 6010 to review. Once determined to be eligible the application will be available online at https://www.town.duxbury.ma.us/employment-volunteer-opportunities from September 15 – October 15. There will be drop-in help hours to assist with the online application at the Duxbury Senior Center on Wednesday, September 29 from 2-3PM and on Monday, October 4 from 10-11AM.